Floria Sigismondi is a photographer and music video director from Toronto, known for her surreal and quite nightmarish concepts. I often look at her work for inspiration, as she has a very free and creative way of inventing and capturing her ideas.
She experiments with a wide span of different materials, viewpoints and lighting. She has a confident way of setting a scene, making every detail count.
When capturing the subject, you can see that she uses certain viewpoints to help expose the points in which we can concentrate on the emotions of the body language. Showing a moment of beauty.
"I’m fascinated with beauty and what makes something beautiful, then finding that beauty can be anywhere—places that aren’t expected. I think it helps me to discover and understand things by deconstructing and modifying them. I believe that if you look at something long enough, no matter what it is, there is no reason for it not to be beautiful."
Floria Sigismondi, 11.02.03.

Her way of editing is also very interesting as the footage is edited to move at an erratic pace, creating an unnatural movement, which gives the video its 'nightmarish' feel.
Her most popular music videos are the ones for bands: 'The White Stripes' (Blue Orchid), 'The Cure' (End of the world), 'Marilyn Manson' (Beautiful people & Tourniquet) and singer 'Christina Aguilera' (Hurt)
'Tourniquet' Music Video
Copied from Disc. Tourniquet 1997
This is my favorite music video by Floria Sigismondi. It has some very sinister concepts and is definitely nightmare stuff! This video has a great influence on me, and helps drive me to broaden my perceptions and open my mind. I like the way it has no use of gore to make it shock the audience, its the idea of the surreal characters and unusual layout which give the video its scary qualities!
I love the scene with the butterfly hanging on the wall. Its a very unsettling vision, presenting you with the feeling of struggle and frustration, as it tries to move and perhaps break free from its body. Every scene provokes thought, as you try to identify what is happening, and try to adapt to each concept. Definitely takes you out of your comfort zone.


No comments:
Post a Comment