
www.artinliverpool.com
This exactly the reason why Jamie Reid is one of my favorite artists! What a statement!
Jamie Reid is known for his rebellious attitude and approach to art. Popular for his work he did on the album art covers for the 'Sex Pistols,' in 1977.
I like the way his lettering is based on the style of a ransom note. These cut out letters, pasted together in this obscure fashion, was part of the punk identity. Encouraging the idea of a non conformist attitude.
"There have always been two sides to my work - the esoteric and the political"
Jamie Reid 28.02.01
(Paragraph 9)
www.theguardian.co.uk
I am familiar with Reid's work, but have never come across this piece before. I was surprised because I'm more used to his vibrant pieces, where as this is more dulled and minimal. The letters are small, leaving more breathing space for the background image.
The visual hierarchy is interesting, as you are drawn more towards the background image rather than the lettering. The eye is firstly drawn to the heading 'City Of Culture,' as it is positioned in the segment of open space, in the background image. The image already is rather busy, but interestingly the words 'My Arse' are applied in a way which almost blends together with the image. It doesn't attract immediate attention.
Jamie Reid is known for his rebellious attitude and approach to art. Popular for his work he did on the album art covers for the 'Sex Pistols,' in 1977.
I like the way his lettering is based on the style of a ransom note. These cut out letters, pasted together in this obscure fashion, was part of the punk identity. Encouraging the idea of a non conformist attitude.
"There have always been two sides to my work - the esoteric and the political"
Jamie Reid 28.02.01
(Paragraph 9)
www.theguardian.co.uk
I am familiar with Reid's work, but have never come across this piece before. I was surprised because I'm more used to his vibrant pieces, where as this is more dulled and minimal. The letters are small, leaving more breathing space for the background image.
The visual hierarchy is interesting, as you are drawn more towards the background image rather than the lettering. The eye is firstly drawn to the heading 'City Of Culture,' as it is positioned in the segment of open space, in the background image. The image already is rather busy, but interestingly the words 'My Arse' are applied in a way which almost blends together with the image. It doesn't attract immediate attention.
No comments:
Post a Comment